Episode 080 of Win the Web features a look back at the breakthrough search engine Cuil (pronounced “cool”) that once may have challenged the omnipotence of Google in terms of its organizational search capabilities when it launched in 2008 (but closed down a short two years later).
This episode’s “Don’t Do It” segment discusses Google’s Autocomplete Blacklist of forbidden words that don’t get autocompleted in search. Words that will not be suggested for you as you type include words related to online piracy, adult websites, specific offensive slang, and more.
The “Internet Marketing Superstar” segment ranks countries in terms of Internet speed. The winner may surprise you!
“The Toolshed” finds that YouTube finally adopted a subscribe button that you can now use to connect website visitors to your YouTube channel. This is a revolutionary change that has been long awaited.
Finally, we review how social sign-in behavior has changed over time in “The Brainstorm.”
Listen to the episode below and go to wintheweb.net to discover more great content!
- Welcome and Updates (0:00)
- The Beginning of Time… 5 Years Ago – Cuil Challenges Google Search (8:38)
- Don’t Do It – Google’s Autocomplete Blacklist (16:40)
- Internet Marketing Superstars – The World’s Fastest Internet by Country (23:47)
- The Toolshed – Embeddable YouTube Subscription Buttons (31:13)
- The Brainstorm – How Has Social Sign-In Behavior Changed? (36:07)